In India, in ‘Hinduism’ people are broadly classified into four Castes/Varnas.
They are:-1. Brahmins, said to have been created from the mouth of Brahma, who are : Scholars, teachers and fire priests
2. Kshatriyas, said to have been created from the arms of Brahma who are: Kings and soldiers warriors
3. Vaishyas, said to have been created from the stomach of Brahma who are: Agriculturists and merchants and
4. Shudras, who are said to have been created from the feet of Brahma, who are: Service providers and artisans
The first three varnas are grouped as one higher group called ‘Aryas’ and the fourth is separated as a lower group called the ‘Shudras’.
In the second group ‘Shudras’ some castes are considered to be very low/ ‘untouchable’.
Dr.Bhimrao Ramjo Ambedkar (B.R.Ambedkar) was born on 14th April 1891, in a poor family belonging to ‘Mahar-Caste’- a caste then considered untouchable.
Dr.B.R.Ambedkar was continuously fighting against the social discrimination in the Hindu Castes/Varnas system called ‘Chaturvarna’.
- An Indian Jurist,
- A Political Leader,
- A Buddhist Activist,
- An Advanced Thinker,
- A Philosopher,
- An Anthropologist,
- A Historian,
- An Orator,
- A prolific writer,
- An Economist and
- A great scholar.
He had been the Chief Architect of Indian Constitution. And the Government of India honoured Dr.Ambedkar by awarding India's highest civilian award the ‘Bharat Ratna’ in the year 1990, posthumously to the architect of the Indian Constitution, which came into force from 26th January 1950.
Dr.B.R.Ambedkar’s drafting of the Indian Constitution has enabled:-
- constitutional guarantees and
- protections for a wide range of civil liberties for individual citizens, including
- freedom of religion,
- the abolition of untouchability and
- the outlawing of all forms of discriminations.
‘The Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Vichar Manch’ has appealed to Prime Minister Dr.Manmohan Singh and to the President of India, Ms.Pratibha Patil, to honour Dr. Ambedkar with the title ‘Father of the Indian Constitution' on the Republic Day of 2011. (26th January 2011)
Tag India News