Last Updated on
My fellow citizens,
I am happy to address you for the first time, on the eve of the 65th Independence Day of India.
I am grateful to you all for placing me at this high office.
However, I know that the highest honour in our democracy does not lie in any office, but in being a citizen of India, our motherland.
We are all equal before our Mother India.
On this 65th Independence Day of India, let us gratefully remember the extraordinary men and women who sacrificed their ‘todays’ for our ‘tomorrows’.
As pointed out by “Netaji” Subhash Chandra Bose, our chief national problems are eradication of poverty, illiteracy and disease.
As said by our former President of India, Dr.Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan, “Economic progress is one of the tests of democracy.”
If our economy has achieved critical mass, then it must become a launching pad for the next leap.
We need a second freedom struggle; this time to ensure that India is free for ever from hunger, disease and poverty.
Let us thank our Armed Forces and Police Forces, who help us to sleep in peace, by their awakening and vigilance in the desolation of desert and mountain and forest and in the vast loneliness of the seas.Our armed forces not only guarantee our peace, but also produce medal winners at Olympics.
I congratulate all who have done their nation proud at the recently concluded Games, by winning as well as by participating. The number of trophies may not be too large but it is a remarkable improvement upon the last count, Four years later, when I hope to address you again, I am sure, we will celebrate a medals spring.
My Fellow Citizens,
- Let us leave behind the way of hatred, violence and anger,
- Let us put aside our petty quarrels and factions,
- Let us work together for our nation with the devotion of a child towards a mother,
- Let us repose our faith in this invocation from Upanishads.
- May God Protect us and Nourish us.
- May we Work Together with Vigour and Energy.
- May our Studies be Brilliant.
- May there be no Hostility amongst us.
- May there be Peace, Peace, Peace.
- Peace must be our ideology, progress our horizon.
- JAI HIND!