Last Updated on
Name: BHIMRAO RAMJI AMBAVADEKAR
Popularly Known as:
‘Babasaheb’- B.R. Ambedkar
‘Father of the Constitution of India’
Date of Birth: 14th April 1891
Date of Death: 6th December 1956- Dr.B.R.Ambedkar died peacefully during sleep, due to illness (Diabetes) from the year 1954.
Father: Mr. Ramji Ambavadekar
Mother: Ms. Bhimabai Sakpal
- University of Mumbai
- Columbia University
- University of London
- London School of Economics
Dr. B.R.Ambedkar is Famous For:
Dr.B.R.Ambedkar had been the Chairman of the Drafting Commission of the Constitution of India, which came into force wef 26th January 1950 (Republic Day of India)
So, Dr.B.R.Ambedkar is called the ‘Father of the Indian Constitution of India’.
Dr.B.R.Ambedkar’s drafting of the Indian Constitution has enabled:-
- constitutional guarantees and
- protections for a wide range of civil liberties for individual citizens, including
- freedom of religion,
- the abolition of untouchability and
- the outlawing of all forms of discriminations.
Dr.B.R.Ambedkar is popularly known as “Baba Saheb”. In India, people are broadly classified under a caste system in “Hinduism”,called “Chaturvarna” into the following 4 Castes/Varnas:
1. Brahmins, said to have been created from the mouth of Brahma, who are : Scholars, teachers and fire priests,
2. Kshatriyas, said to have been created from the arms of Brahma who are: Kings and soldiers warriors,
3. Vaishyas, said to have been created from the stomach of Brahma who are: Agriculturists and merchants and
4. Shudras, who are said to have been created from the feet of Brahma, who are: Service providers and artisans.
The first three varnas are grouped as one higher group called ‘Aryas’ and the fourth is separated as a lower group called the ‘Shudras’.
In the second group ‘Shudras’ some castes are considered to be very low/ ‘untouchable’.
Dr.B.R.Ambedkar was continuously fighting against the social discrimination in the Hindu Castes/Varnas system called ‘Chaturvarna’.
Awards and Honours Given to B.R.Ambedkar:
‘The Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Vichar Manch’ has appealed to Prime Minister Dr.Manmohan Singh and to the President of India, Ms.Pratibha Patil, to honour Dr. Ambedkar with the title ‘Father of the Indian Constitution’ on the Republic Day of 2011. (26th January 2011)
The Government of India honoured Dr.Ambedkar by awarding India’s highest civilian award the ‘Bharat Ratna’ in the year 1990, posthumously.
Dr.B.R.Ambedkar was selected as the “Greatest Indian” after Mahatma Gandhi by the History TV and CNN-IBN Survey in the year 2012.
Quote by Dr.B.R.Ambedkar:
“A great man is different from an eminent one in that he is ready to be the servant of the society.”–