Last Updated on
While giving a lecture to the students of the Rajiv Gandhi Indian Institute of Management, Shillong, Dr.Kalam had an acute heart attack and collapsed on the stage and expired in front of his students.
- Primary Education: Ramanathapuram Schwartz Matriculation School- Abdul Kalam was engaged in supplying daily newspapers to houses for earning some money to support his father and family, as the income of his father had been insufficient.
- Though, Abdul Kalam was not a very bright student in primary levels, his teachers found that he was capable of becoming a great Indian in the future.
- B.Sc.(Physics)-St.Joseph’s Colleger, Tiruchirappalli- in the year 1954– The popular Tamil writer ‘Sujatha’-Rangarajan was his class-mate in B.Sc.(Physics)
- Aerospace Engineering in Madras Institute of Technology/MIT, Chennai-The popular Tamil writer ‘Sujatha’-Rangarajan was his batch mate and he studied Electronics in MIT, Chennai.
Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam remained Unmarried/Bachelor throughout his life and dedicated his life for India and Indians.
The real reason/s for his not getting married was known only to him.
He had been telling that he had no time to get married, as he was busy in his work for the country and its youth and he had told that, had he got married, he would not have achieved even half of what he could have achieved as a bachelor.
However, he had wished the youth to find suitable spouse/s in their life.
He had been very fond of children and youth of India in his career.
He had a passion to talk to the youth of India and teach them, not only Atomic Science and Information Technology, but also, he used to give ‘inspirational’ speeches and he had been continually advising the youth of India to “Dream” for a bright and fruitful future.
Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam wished and hoped that India would become a “Super Power” by the year 2020.
- Atomic Scientist,
- Professor in Atomic Science and Information Technology,
- Former President of India and
Dr.Kalam was called the “Missile Man of India”, as he had been instrumental in launching India’s satellites and missiles, such as “Agni” and ‘Prithvi’ Missiles and “Pokhran II” Nuclear Tests of India
After July 2007- Dr.Abdul Kalam had been a Visiting Professor in :
- The Indian Institute of Management Shillong,
- The Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad and
- The Indian Institute of Management Indore.
And he had been:
-Honorary fellow of Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore,
-Chancellor of the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram,
-Professor of Aerospace Engineering at Anna University and also
- In the year 2002, when Mr.A.B.Vajpayee had been the Prime Minister of India, the term of office of the President of India Mr.K.R.Narayanan’s (supported by the Indian National Congress) ended and the next Presidential election was due.
A Movie Inspired by the Life of Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam:
A Hindi movie, by name ‘I Am Kalam’,based on his life and works, was directed by Nila Madhab Panda was released in the year 2011.
Awards and Honours Given to Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam:
Name of the Award or Honour/Given by/Year:
Padma Bhushan/Union Government of India/1981
Padma Vibhusahan/Union Government of India/1990
Distinguished Fellow/Institute of Directors(India)/1994
Bharat Ratna/Union Government of India/1997
Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration /Indian National Congress/1997
Veer Savarkar Award/Union Government of India/1998
Ramanujan Award/Alwars Research Centre, Chennai/2000
Honorary Doctorate of Science/ University of Wolverhampton, UK/2007
King Charles II Medal/Royal Society, UK/2007
Honorary Doctorate of Science and Technology/ Carnegie Mellon University/2007
Doctor of Engineering (Honoris Causa) / Nanyang Technological University, Singapore/2008
International von Kármán Wings Award /California Institute of Technology, USA/2009
Hoover Medal/ ASME Foundation, USA/2009
Honorary Doctorate/Oakland University/2009
Doctor of Engineering/ University of Waterloo/2010
IEEE Honorary Membership /IEEE/2011
Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa)/Simon Fraser University/2012
Doctor of Science/Edinburgh University,UK/2014
“Dream, dream, dream. Dreams transform into thoughts and thoughts result in action.”
“Dreams are not those which comes while we are sleeping, but dreams are those when u don’t sleep before fulfilling them.”
“This is my belief: that through difficulties and problems God gives us the opportunity to grow. So when your hopes and dreams and goals are dashed, search among the wreckage, you may find a golden opportunity hidden in the ruins.”
“Difficulties in your life do not come to destroy you, but to help you realize your hidden potential and power, let difficulties know that you too are difficult.”
“You cannot change your future, but you can change your habits, and surely your habits will change your future.”
“Don’t read success stories, you will only get a message. Read failure stories, you will get some ideas to get success.”
“Excellence is a continuous process and not an accident.”
“Educationists should build the capacities of the spirit of inquiry, creativity, entrepreneurial and moral leadership among students and become their role model.”
“ If a country is to be corruption free and become a nation of beautiful minds, I strongly feel there are three key societal members who can make a difference. They are the father, the mother and the teacher.”
“ My message, especially to young people is to have courage to think differently, courage to invent, to travel the unexplored path, courage to discover the impossible and to conquer the problems and succeed. These are great qualities that they must work towards. This is my message to the young people.”