The Following is a List of Top 10 “Movies Banned” in India:
1.”NO FIRE ZONE”:-
- ‘No Fire Zone’ is an investigative English Documentary Movie, directed by the ‘Nobel Peace Prize Nominee’ Callum Macrae,
- The movie is about the final weeks from Septemeber 2008 to December 2009, of the 26 years old Civil Wars between the ‘Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam’ /LTTE led by ‘Velupillai Prabhakaran‘ and the Srilankan Government /Army,
- It is a compilation of video coverage of tortures and killings of the Tamils by bombs-shellings and firings by the Srilankan Army soldiers,
- The video coverage includes the merciless, brutal and intentional murder by firing at point blank range of ‘Balachandran Prabhakaran‘, the 12 years old son of Velupillai Prabhakaran,
- The movie was screened in March 2013, at the 22nd Session of the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva.
Why the Movie- ‘No Fire Zone’ was Banned?
- Despite the verification by various private agencies and findings and confirmations about the genuine nature of the video coverage compiled in the movie, the Srilankan Government, had blindly been maintaining that the video coverage were fake and fabricated.
- The Srilankan Government asked the Governments of India, Nepal and Malaysia to ban the movie.
- Accordingly, the movie was not approved by the ‘Central Board of Film Certification’/ CBFC and not released in India
However, the movie ‘No Fire Zone’ was released online free in India, Nepal, Malaysia and Srilanka.
2. “INDIANA JONES AND TEMPLE OF DOOM”:-
- “Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom’ is an American Fantasy Adventure Movie,directed by ‘Zurasic Park’ fame- Steven Spielberg and the movie was released in USA on 23rd May 1984.
Why the Movie ‘Indiana and Temple of Doom’ was banned in India by the ‘Central Board of Film Certification’ /CBFC, India ?The movie was banned in India, because:
- The Hindu goddess ‘Kali’ was depicted in the movie as the representative of the underworld and evil and
- The Hindu goddess ‘Shakthi’ the goddess of ‘Change and Empowerment’ was depicted as an evil power destroying good people and good things and affecting positive changes and
- The dishes such as, ‘Baby Snakes’, ’Eyeball Soup’,
had been shown as the part of the Indian Cusine, which are not true and
- The script of the movie was found to be racist and offensive.
- ‘Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love’ is an English Movie, Directed by Mira Nair, released on 28th February 1997.
- Homosexual and
- The movie was directed by Anurag Kashyap, and released in the year 2004.
As the ‘Mumbai Bombs Blasts’ case had been heard by a ‘Special TADA Court’, the ‘Central Board of Film Certification’/ CBFC did not allow the movie to be screened in India in the year 2004.
- Directed by Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh,
- The movie was released on 18th September 2015, and the Tamil and Telugu versions were released on 1st October 2015.
- As the movie ‘MSG 2 The Messenger’ was reportedly hurting the sentiments of the ‘Adivasis’, the members of India’s Tribal community, the movie was banned in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Punjab.
‘Fire’ is a 1996 Hindi Movie, an Indian Canadian Romantic Drama Film, which was written and
directed by Deepa Mehta,
- Actresses Shabana Azmi and Nandita Das acted in the controversial movie ‘Fire’.
- The Movie-‘Fire’ is one and the first of the triple movies on the natural elements of Fire, Earth and Water; directed by Deepa Mehta: ‘Fire’ -1996, ‘Earth’-1998 and
- Initially, the Movie ‘Fire’ was certified with the Rating-‘A’/Adults Only, with a condition that the name of the character in the movie must be changed from ‘Sita’ to ‘Nita’,
- The movie ‘Fire’ was screened on 13th November 1998 in India and was running ‘House Full’ in Metro Centers throughout India for more about 3 weeks.
- As the movie ‘Fire’ had explicitly shown the homosexual relations,creating protests against and triggered discussions on homosexuality and freedom of speech in India
- However, the ‘Shiv Sena’ started open protest against the movie ‘Fire’ on 02nd December 1998 and the Members of the Shiv Sena’/Shiv Sainiks’ attacked the theatres in Mumbai, Delhi, Surat and Kolkata which screened the movie ‘Fire’ and stopped further screening of the movie.
- The ‘Bajrang Dal‘ and the ‘Bhartiya Janatha Party’/ ‘BJP’ members joined the ‘Shiv Sena’ in the protests against the movie ‘Fire’.
- Though some of the protesters were arrested, the Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Manohar Joshi was in favour of the protesters against the movie ‘Fire’ and justified their unlawful actions against the movie, screened with proper certification from the Government of India authorities.
- So, the movie was referred back to the ‘Central Board of Film Certification’/ CBFC for re-examination of their certificate on 4th December 1998.
- Protests had been staged by both the supporters and the agitators against the movie ‘Fire’ from 5th December 1998, until the movie was finally approved by for screening.
Ban on the Movie ‘Fire’ Lifted:
- ‘Unfreedom’ is an Indian Drama Movie which was inspired by Faiz Ahmad Faiz’s poem- ‘Ye Dagh Dagh Ujala’,
- The Movie ‘Un Freedom’ was produced and directed by Raj Amit Kumar,
- The Movie ‘Un Freedom’ was released in USA on 29th May 2015.
Why the Movie ‘Un Freedom’ was not approved by the Central Board of Film Certification CBFC?:
- The Movie- ‘Un Freedom’ was with a story of a ‘Muslim Fundamentalist’ in New York kidnapping a ‘Liberal Muslim Scholar’ for killing and a ‘Lesbian’ in New Delhi kidnapping her ‘Bisexual Lover’ for love making.
- The Movie- ‘Un Freedom’ was refused approval by the ‘Central Board of Film Certification’/ CBFC for release for public screening.
- The Revising Committee of the ‘Central Board of Film Certification’/ CBFC suggested some cuts in the movie.
- The movie’s producer-cum-director Raj Amit Kumar was unwilling to make the suggested cuts.
- ‘India’s Daughter’ is an Indian Movie, which is a part of the BBC’s ‘Story Ville Series’,directed by Leslee Udwin,
- The movie ‘India’s Daughter’ was released in English and Hindi, on 4th March 2015,
- The movie ‘India’s Daughter is based on the ‘2012 Delhi Gang Rape’ incident, in which a 23 year old ‘Physiotherapy’-paramedical student Ms.Nirbhaya was gang-raped in a moving bus in Delhi and murdered
- The movie-‘India’s Daughter’ was scheduled to be telecast on the television channels worldwide on 8th March 2015, on the ‘International Women’s Day’.
- The Indian Police obtained a court stay order prohibiting the telecast of the movie in India.
- So, the movie ‘India’s Daughter was telecast in all the other television channels except of and in India.
- The movie was uploaded in ‘You Tube’ and the Indian Government directed the ‘You Tube’ to block the video in India.
- Despite appeal from the movie’s director to lift the ban, the Government of India has rejected his appeal as the appeals by the convicts in the ‘2012 Gang Rape and Murder in Moving Bus Case’ has been heard by the Supreme Court of India.
- ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ is a 2011 Swedish-American psychological thriller film, which is based on a novel of the same name written by Stieg Larsson,
- The movie ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ was directed by David Fincher,
- With the Screenplay,of the movie, ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ was written by Steven Zaillian,
- Actor Daniel Craig and Actress Rooney Mara have acted in the movie ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’
- The movie ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ tells the story of a journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Craig) investigating to find out what happened to a woman from a wealthy family who disappeared 40 years back, with the help of a ‘Computer Hacker’- Lisbeth Salander (Mara),
- The movie- ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ was screened ‘only for the Critics’ on 28th November 2011
Why the Movie- ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ was banned in India?
- The Movie-‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ was seen and judged by the ‘Central Board of Film Certification’/CBFC, to be unsuitable for public viewing in its unaltered form.
- The lovemaking scenes of the Journalist and the ‘Computer Hacker’, the ‘Computer Hacker’s torturing of a man who rapes her and a ‘Lesbian lovemaking scene’ of the ‘Computer Hacker’, had been all objectionable to the ‘Central Board of Film Certification’/CBFC.
- The Director of the movie David Fincher was not willing to make any cut in the movie for release in any country including India.
- Also, the ‘Central Board of Film Certification’/ CBFC was not ready to suggest any cut in the movie, as the board was committed to maintaining and protecting the vision of the director of the movie. However, as per the guidelines for certifying a movie for screening in India, the movie-‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ has not been approved by the CBFC.
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ is a 2015 British-American erotic romantic drama film which was Directed by Ms.Sam Taylor Johnson,
- The movie ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ is with a screenplay by Kelly Marcel, and the story is based on the 2011 novel of the same name by British author Ms. E. L. James,
- Actor Dakota Johnson has acted as Anastasia Steele and Actress Jamie Dornan has acted as Christian Grey. Steele is a college graduate who begins a ‘sadomasochistic relationship’with the young Business Magnet Grey. (Sadomasochism is the combination of ‘sadism’ and ‘masochism’ , in particular the deriving of pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting or submitting to physical or emotional abuse )
- The Movie ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ was premiered at the 65th ‘Berlin International Film Festival’ on 11th February 2015,
- The movie ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ was released in theaters on 13th February 2015.
Why the Movie- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ is banned in India?
- The Movie- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ is reportedly full of erotic romance scenes with nudity.
- Also, the basically an erotic sex movie -‘ Fifty Shades of Grey’ is said to have salacious content in the dialogues.
- According to the present guidelines for certifying a movie for screening in India, profane words in the dialogues and the depictions of violence against women and glorious blood shed in the movies cannot be allowed by the CBFC.
- The movie ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ is reported to have numerous such profane words in the dialogues and there are scenes with violence against women and the CBFC did not approve the movie.
- Even though the scenes with nudity were removed by the director, the CBFC could not approve the movie for the other reasons of dialogues and violence.
According to the CBFC Chairman, the director may appeal for a revision of the decision of the CBFC.