The “Bharat Ratna” Award is the highest Civilian Award in India. The Award was established on 2nd January 1954 by the first President of India Babu Rajendra Prasad along with the following 3 “Padma Awards”:
- Padma Vibhusan
- Padma Bhusan
- Padma Shri
The Following is the List of “Bharat Ratna”-Award Recipients- From the Year 1954 Till Date::-
Dr. S.Radhakrishnan was a Philosopher from Tamilnadu. He had been the First Vice President of India and the Second President of India. His birthday (5th September) is commemorated as “Teachers’ Day”.
2. CHAKRAVARTHI RAJAGOPALACHARI (1878–1972
Chakravarthi Rajagopalachari is known as ‘Rajaji’. He was an Indian Freedom Fighter from Tamilnadu. Rajaji was the last Governor General of British India.
5. SIR MOKSHAGUNDAM VISVESVARAYYA (1861–1962)
Dr. Visvesvarayya was a Diwan of the Princely State of Mysore -Karnatak. He was an Indian Civil Engineer & Dam Architect,
6. PANDIT JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (1889–1964)- The First Prime Minister of India and an Indian Freedom Fighter and Writer belonging to Uttar Pradesh
7. MR. GOVIND BALLBH PANT (1887–1961)- An Indian Freedom Fighter and Home Minister of Indian Union belonging to Uttar Pradesh, now Uttarakhand
8. DHONDO KESHAV KARVE (1858–1962) –An Educationist and a Social Reformer belonging to Maharashtra- Awarded Bharata Ratna in his birth centenary year 1958
1959 and1960: None
9. DR.B.C.ROY (1882–1962)_ A Physician, Politician and Former Chief Minister of West Bengal belonging to West Bengal
10. MR.PURUSHOTTAM DAS TANDON (1882–1962)- An Indian- Freedom Fighter and an Educationist belonging to Uttar Pradesh
11. DR. BABU RAJENDRA PRASAD (1884–1963)- The first President of India, a Freedom Fighter and a Jurist belonging to Bihar
12. DR ZAKIR HUSSAIN (1897–1969)-Former President of India and a Scholar belonging to Andhra Pradesh
13. MR. PANDURANG VAMAN KANE (1880–1972)- Ideologist and Sanskrit scholar belonging to Maharashtra
1964 and 1965: None
14. LAL BAHADUR SHASTRI (1904–1966)–The Second Prime Minister of India a Freedom Fighter belonging to Uttar Pradesh- Awarded Posthumously
From 1967 To 1970: None
15. MRS. INDIRA GANDHI(1917–1984)- Former and the first and the only Lady Prime Minister of India/Daughter of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, belonging to Uttar Pradesh
From 1972 To 1974: None
16. MR.V.V.GIRI (1894–1980)- Former President- Trade Unionist originally belonging to Orissa /Oddisha- (Born in Orissa /Odissha and later settled in Tamilnadu after his 21st year of age)
17. MR.K.KAMARAJ (1903–1975)–A Freedom Fighter-Former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu belonging to Tamil Nadu – Awarded Posthumously
1977 To 1979:None
The ‘Bharat Ratna” award had been kept suspended by the Government of India,from 13th July 1977 to 26th January 1980.
18 . MOTHER TERESA 1910–1997)- A Nobel Laureate (For Peace, 1979) A foreigner belonging to the Republic of Macedonia- dedicated to the Sick people of India especially for those who were affected by Leprosy
1981 and 1982: None
19. ACHARYA VINOBA BHAVE (1895–1982)– A Social Reformer and a Freedom Fighter belonging to Maharashtra-Awarded Posthumously
The first non-citizen awarded Bharata Ratna- A Freedom Fighter belonging to Pakistan
21. MR.M.G.RAMACHANDRAN /MGR (1917–1987)- -Former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu- Popular Cinema Actor belonging to Tamil Nadu- Awarded Posthumously
22. DR.B.R.AMBEDKAR (1891–1956)- An Architect who played a key role in the formation of the Indian Constitution, a Social Reformer, Economist and Scholar belonging to Maharashtra-
23. DR. NELSON MANDELA (1918-2013) – The Second non-citizen and the first non-Indian awarded Bharat Ratna- A Leader of Anti-Apartheid movement belonging to South Africa
24. MR.RAJIV GANDHI (1944–1991)- – Former Prime Minister of India/Son of Mrs.Indira Gandhi/Grand-son of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru- belonging to New Delhi –Awarded Posthumously
25. SARDAR VALLBHBHAI PATEL(1875–1950)- An Indian Freedom Fighter and the First Home Minister of India belonging to Gujarat-Awarded Posthumously-
Fighter belonging to Gujarat. He was the First Ever Non-Congress Prime Minister of India.
27. MR.MAULANA ABDUL KALAM AZAD (1888–1958) – AFreedom Fighter and the First Education Minister of India belonging to WestBengal-Awarded Posthumously
From 1993 To 1996: None
30. DR.A.P.J. ABDUL KALAM ( 1931-2015) -A Former President of India- Atomic Scientist belonging to Tamil Nadu
31. MR.GULZARLAL NANDA (1898–1998)-An Indian Freedom Fighter and a former(Acting) Prime Minister of India belonging to Punjab
32. MS.ARUNA ASAF ALI (1908–1996) An Indian Freedom Fighter belonging to West Bengal-Awarded Posthumously
33 .MRS.M.S.SUBBULAKSHMI (1916–2004)- A Carnatic music vocalist belonging to Tamil Nadu
34. MR. CHIDAMBARAM /C.S. (1910–2000)- An Indian Freedom Fighter and former Indian Union Minister of Agriculture – belonging to Tamil Nadu
37. DR. AMARTYA SEN ( Born in 1933 ) An Indian Economist and a Nobel Laureate ( For Economics, 1998),-belonging to West Bengal
40. USTAD BISMILLAH KHAN (1916-2006)- A Classical Shehnai- Maestro belonging to Bihar
From 2002 To 2007:None
41. PANDIT BHIMSEN GURURAJ JOSHI (1922-2011) A Hindustani classical vocalist belonging to Karnataka.
42. MR. SACHIN RAMESH TENDULKAR (Born in the year 1973)- Indian Sports Person / Cricketer
43. DR.C.N.RAO – Indian Chemist- the man behind India’s maiden ‘Mars’-Mission
44) MR.ATAL BIHARI VAJPAYEE (Born on 24th December 1924-) 90 years old, former Prime Minister of India.
45) MR.MADAN MOHAN MALAVIAYA (1861-1946)- Indian politician and the founder of Banaras Hindu University / BHU- Awarded posthumously
why is everyone's zodiac sign mentioned!!??
Sachin is best
yes sachin tendulkar deserve Bharat ratna
Congress Govt had not been fair with the countrymen . The real gems of this country Dr B R Ambedkar and Sardar Patel should have been considered for this award in the early fifties immdiately after 26th January 1950 .
By giving Bharath rathna to a useless game-criket- idol ,that too to an individual from a traditionally anti national caste , will further belittle the value of this award
N0,It should be given to Dhiyanchand Hockey player first
One family has been awarded three (3) Bharat Ratna by the Govt. of India in the past years; Nehruji, Indiraji, Rajivji. Remaining two (alive) Soniaji and Rahulji also deserve for the award due to Gandhian Family, pl do'nt forget.
list of bharat Ratna
Great blog and all information very significant Golden Triangle package India provides the thrilling entry all through the year. Indian land is magical and ideal traveler purpose of all seasons.
I really salute these people for their essence in their field…and they are very inspiring…….
Thanks for interesting and amazing topic. your web page actually different and more information.
I am really proud my self as a Indian jai hind
i solute great regard and congratulate all who received the highest civilian award of india
Dayanand Mylaram (Medchal) Hyderabad Telangana
Just salute to our greatest personalities who did indians feel proud these people will be remembered for years and years to come.
first of all i am proud to be an Indian because this land very great land in all the contries. my inspirationperson is Dr.A.P.J.Abdul kalam garu and i salute to all the members who got bharatha ratna award
every young Indian should have a desire to be one among them ****jai-hind
I salute all The 41 Indian freedom fighter and including three foreigner , who recived the highest civilian award of India ,called gem of India. and I have a great regard to all of them . mother Theresa and Mrs.Indira Gandhi ,both are my idol lady .i have a great regard for all of them for art, liturature and,science and social work.
I salute to all the baharat ratan recever but my openion is major Dhiyanchand Hockey player has be a baharat ratan
Vishvanath anand ko nahi mela kya
Dhyan Chand by a country mile was more desrving of Bharat Ratna if pitted against Sachin Tendulkar
Evry youth should have a aim to have his name in the list of noble awardees and make our motherland proud
I SALUTE ALL THESE PATRIOT TO RECEIVE BHARAT RATNA AWARD. I ALWAYS THINK WHY THIS AWARD NOT GIVEN TO BHAGAT SINGH. HE DESERVING THIS AWARD.
i salute all the winners of bharat ratnas.
It is great that we honored other country people with Bharat Ratna.
Hi to every single one, it’s genuinely a nice for me to go
to see this site, it contains important Information.
[…] when the award was first instituted and awarded..On 26th January 1955, the Republic Day of India, Rajaji received the ‘Bharat Ratna’ Award from the first President of India Babu Rajendra […]
[…] “Bharat Ratna”-Government of India-India’s Highest Civilian Award- 1998. […]
[…] “Bharat Ratna”- The highest Civilian Award in India-Union Government of India-1954 […]
I salute who received Bharat ratna awards,I always think why this award not given to our Sri. Sri.shivakumara swamiji siddaganga mutt tumkur.for social service. i am waiting for that….
We pride and salute all these greate ideals for our country🙏🙏🙏
I salute all freedom fighter the first sports person who like bhart ratna award majer dhyanchand because all reason