About 11 Central Trade Unions have called for an All-India General Strike on 20th and 21st February 2013 to protest the “Anti-People”- Policies of the UPA –Government of India, including the following:
- Ever Increasing Price Rise
- Poor implementation of Labour Law
- Disinvestment in Public Sector Units/increased Foreign Domestic Investments/FDI in various sectors.
The Indian National Trade Union Congress/INTUC and the Labour Progressive Front, the trade union wings of the ruling Congress Party and its ally DMK and Tamil Nadu Government Employees Union would participate in the 2 days’ strike.
The demands of the striking unions include:
- Stopping of contract labour
- Bringing 37 crore unorganised sector workers under the EPF/ESI Acts
- Fixing of statutory minimum wages at Rs. 10,000 a month
- Raising minimum pension to Rs. 3,000/- pm.
- Payment of equal wages and benefits to contract workers on a par with regular workers
- Removal of all ceilings on payment and eligibility of bonus, provident fund
- Increasing the quantum of gratuity, guaranteed pension for all, and compulsory registration of trade unions within 45 days and immediate ratification.
- Stopping the Government’s proposed -Banking reforms and outsourcing of banking related work
- Early wage revision of Bank Employees and settling of pending issues like compassionate appointment scheme in banks.
The following services/sectors will be affected by the proposed strike:
- Oil industries
- RBI and Banks
- Insurance Companies
- Posts and Telecommunications and
- Information Technology.