The highest Civilian Award in India, the “Bharat Ratna” Award
was established on 2nd January 1954 by the first President of India- Babu Rajendra Prasad along with the following 3 “Padma Awards”:
- Padma Vibhusan
- Padma Bhusan
- Padma Shri
“Bharat Ratna” means “Gem of India”.
“Bharat Ratna” Award is conferred on Indian Citizens, including resident and non-resident , and also on Foreigners for the highest degrees of national services rendered in the fields of:-
- Public service of high orders
In the year 2011, the Government of India modified the eligibility criteria for “Bharat Ratna” Award from the earlier criteria- “for the highest degrees of national service” to – ” “for performance of highest order in any field of human endeavour”- to enable eminent sports-persons to receive the nation’s highest civilian award.
Initially, the” Bharat Ratna” award was conferred on only alive persons and the award was not intended to be given posthumous.
After January 1955 provision was made for issue of posthumous Bharat Ratna award.
The Following is the List of “Bharat Ratna”-Award Recipients- From the Year 1954 Till Date::-
The Second President and the First Vice President of India, A Philosopher belonging to Tamil Nadu whose birthday is commemorated as “Teachers’ Day”.
2. CHAKRAVARTI RAJAGOPALACHARI/RAJAJI1878–1972)- The last Governor General of British India who was also an Indian Freedom Fighter, belonging to Tamilnadu
4. DR.BHAGWAN DAS (1869–1958)- A Man of Literature and an Indian Freedom Fighter belonging to Uttar Pradesh
5. SIR MOKSHAGUNDAM VISVESVARAYYA (1861–1962)- An Indian Civil Engineer and Dam Architect, A Diwan of Princely state of Mysore Karnataka
6. PANDIT JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (1889–1964)- The First Prime Minister of India and an Indian Freedom Fighter and Writer belonging to Uttar Pradesh
7. MR. GOVIND BALLBH PANT (1887–1961)- An Indian Freedom Fighter and Home Minister of Indian Union belonging to Uttar Pradesh, now Uttarakhand
10. MR.PURUSHOTTAM DAS TANDON (1882–1962)- An Indian- Freedom Fighter and an Educationist belonging to Uttar Pradesh
12. DR ZAKIR HUSSAIN (1897–1969)-Former President of India and a Scholar belonging to Andhra Pradesh
13. MR. PANDURANG VAMAN KANE (1880–1972)- Ideologist and Sanskrit scholar belonging to Maharashtra
1964 and 1965: None
14. LAL BAHADUR SHASTRI (1904–1966)–The Second Prime Minister of India a Freedom Fighter belonging to Uttar Pradesh- Awarded Posthumously
From 1967 To 1970: None
15. MRS. INDIRA GANDHI(1917–1984)- Former and the first and the only Lady Prime Minister of India/Daughter of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, belonging to Uttar Pradesh
From 1972 To 1974: None
16. MR.V.V.GIRI (1894–1980)- Former President- Trade Unionist originally belonging to Orissa /Oddisha- (Born in Orissa /Odissha and later settled in Tamilnadu after his 21st year of age)
17. MR.K.KAMARAJ (1903–1975)–A Freedom Fighter-Former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu belonging to Tamil Nadu – Awarded Posthumously
1977 To 1979:None
The ‘Bharat Ratna” award had been kept suspended by the Government of India,from 13th July 1977 to 26th January 1980.
18 . MOTHER TERESA 1910–1997)- A Nobel Laureate (For Peace, 1979) A foreigner belonging to the Republic of Macedonia- dedicated to the Sick people of India especially for those who were affected by Leprosy
The first non-citizen awarded Bharata Ratna- A Freedom Fighter belonging to Pakistan
23. DR. NELSON MANDELA (1918-2013) – The Second non-citizen and the first non-Indian awarded Bharat Ratna- A Leader of Anti-Apartheid movement belonging to South Africa
24. MR.RAJIV GANDHI (1944–1991)- – Former Prime Minister of India/Son of Mrs.Indira Gandhi/Grand-son of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru- belonging to New Delhi –Awarded Posthumously
25. SARDAR VALLBHBHAI PATEL(1875–1950)- An Indian Freedom Fighter and the First Home Minister of India belonging to Gujarat-Awarded Posthumously-
Fighter belonging to Gujarat. He was the First Ever Non-Congress Prime Minister of India.
27. MR.MAULANA ABDUL KALAM AZAD (1888–1958) – AFreedom Fighter and the First Education Minister of India belonging to WestBengal-Awarded Posthumously
31. MR.GULZARLAL NANDA (1898–1998)-An Indian Freedom Fighter and a former(Acting) Prime Minister of India belonging to Punjab
32. MS.ARUNA ASAF ALI (1908–1996) An Indian Freedom Fighter belonging to West Bengal-Awarded Posthumously
33 .MRS.M.S.SUBBULAKSHMI (1916–2004)- A Carnatic music vocalist belonging to Tamil Nadu
34. MR. CHIDAMBARAM /C.S. (1910–2000)- An Indian Freedom Fighter and former Indian Union Minister of Agriculture – belonging to Tamil Nadu
37. DR. AMARTYA SEN ( Born in 1933 ) An Indian Economist and a Nobel Laureate ( For Economics, 1998),-belonging to West Bengal
40. USTAD BISMILLAH KHAN (1916-2006)- A Classical Shehnai- Maestro belonging to Bihar
From 2002 To 2007:None
41. PANDIT BHIMSEN GURURAJ JOSHI (1922-2011) A Hindustani classical vocalist belonging to Karnataka.
42. MR. SACHIN RAMESH TENDULKAR (Born in the year 1973)- Indian Sports Person / Cricketer
43. DR.C.N.RAO – Indian Chemist- the man behind India’s maiden ‘Mars’-Mission
44) MR.ATAL BIHARI VAJPAYEE (Born on 24th December 1924-) 90 years old, former Prime Minister of India.