However, the Railways Minister has declared that there would not be any further hike in the train fares in the next Railways Budget-2013-14.
The Railways Minister hopes that the people would understand the need for fares-hike. The next Railways Budget is due within less than next 2 months.
The new hike the railway passenger fares will range
from 2 paise per km on basic fare in the case of second-class ordinary [suburban] passengers
to 10 paise per km for AC chair car and AC first-class passengers.
The following will be the increase in passenger-fare per km for various classes:
Class / Increase in fare per km
- Second Class(Ordinary)- Sub-Urban – 2 paise/km
- Second Class(Ordinary)- Non-Sub-urban- 3 paise/km
- Second Class(Mail/Express)- 4 paise/km
- Second Class Sleeper- 6 paise/km
- A/C Chair Car- 10 paise/km
- A/C 3 Tier- 10 paise/km
- FIRST CLASS- *3 paise/km (10 paise / km increased w.e.f. 01 04 2012)
- A/C 2 Tier- *6 paise/km (15 paise / km increased w.e.f 01 04 2012)
- FIRST CLASS A/C- *10 paise/km (30 paise / km increased w.e.f 01 04 2012)
Note:* In addition to increase of 10 paise per km in case of First Class, 15 paise per km in case of AC 2Tier and 30 paise per km in case of AC First / Executive Class already implemented w.e.f. 01-04-12.
The present practice of levying developmental charges on passenger tickets will be stopped and all chargeable fares will be in multiples of 5 Rupees.
railway employees are paid fat salaries with so many perks and bonuses for their ineffecient work they do, why cannot this goverment reduce their salaries to overcome the deficit so the poor people who depend on railways will be spared.