(Updated on 03rd December 2013)
“International Cricket Council”/ICC, the supreme governing body for international cricket has been awarding 11 awards in various categories as detailed below since the year 2004:
- ICC Player of the Year
- Women’s Cricketer of the Year
- Test Player of the Year
- ICC One-day Player of the Year
- T20 Player of the Year
- Captain of the Year
- Emerging Player of the Year
- Test Team of the Year
- One-day Team of the Year
- Spirit of Cricket Award and
- Umpire of the Year Award
In the above awards the nominees are selected and nominated and the winners are decided by the Awards Committees of the ICC comprising eminent ex- ICC players.
In the year 2010, a special award was instituted by the International Cricket Council/ICC along with LG Electronics, in the name of “LG-ICC- People’s Choice Award”.
In the ‘LG ICC People’s Choice Award’ the nominees for the award would be shortlisted by a team of eminent ex-ICC cricketers as in the other ICC awards.
However, the winner in the ‘LG ICC People’s Choice Award’, as the name implies, would be decided by popular voting by the international cricket fans.
The following is the list of winners of the ‘LG ICC People’s Choice Award’ from the year 2010:
- 2010- The nominees were- Michael Hussey-Australia, Sachin Tendulkar – India , Mahela Jayawardene-Srilanka and Mahendra Singh Dhoni-India- And the Winner was Sachin Tendulkar – India
- 2011- The nominees were-Hashim Amla-South Africa, Mahendra Singh Dhoni-India, Chris Gayle-West Indies, Kumar Sangakkara-Srilanka and Jonathan Trott-England and the Winner was Kumar Sangakkara –Srilanka
- 2012-The nominees were-Kumar Sangakkara-Srilanka, James Anderson-England, Jacques Kallis-South Africa, Vernon Philander-South Africa and the Winner was Kumar Sangakkara-Srilanka
For the year 2013 the following are the nominations for the ‘LG ICC People’s Choice Award’:
- Michael Clarke-Australia
- Alastair Cook-England
- A.B.de Villiers-South Africa
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni-India
- and Virat Kohli – India.
The voting for the selection of the ‘winner’ of the ‘LG ICC People’s Choice Award’ has started on 2nd November 2013 which would end on 23rd November 2013 and the winner will be announced on 13th December 2013 on the 10th Annual Awards Day of the ICC.
The Results of the Popular Voting Declared on 3rd December 2013:
Indian Cricket Captain-Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been Selected as the “LG ICC People’s Choice” Cricketer for the year 2013.