Many old people have done remarkable achievements after the age of fifty years.
At the age of sixy years:-
- Playwright and essayist George Bernard Shaw completed a play, “Heartbreak House,” regarded by some as his masterpiece.
- Italian sculptor, painter, playwright, draftsman and architect Gian Lorenzo Bernini began designing churches.
- Ann Roberts retired from 30 years of driving an 18-wheeler, changed jobs to tax preparer and also sales rep for a tractor/bush hog company. She square dances evenings and weekends. She is a grandmother of 4 and is still working.
- Frieda Birnbaum became the oldest woman in the U.S. to give birth to twins.
- Benjamin Franklin helped draft the Declaration of Independence.
- Businessman Cornelius Vanderbilt began buying railroads.
- French actress Sarah Bernhardt had a leg amputated but refused to abandon the stage.
- Justice John W. Sirica heard the Watergate case.
- Judy Brenner, who had recently run the Boston Marathon, chased a teenage shoplifter 100 feet and helped hold him until police arrived.
At the age of eighty years:-
- Jessica Tandy became the oldest Oscar recipient for her work in Driving Miss Daisy.
- George Burns became the second oldest Oscar recipient for his work in The Sunshine Boys.
- American writer and physician Oliver Wendell Holmes published “Over the Teacups,” which displayed his characteristic vitality and wit.
- Christine Brown of Laguna Hills, California flew to China and climbed the Great Wall.
- Paul Newman earned an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or TV Movie for “Empire Falls” in 2005.
- Dick Van Dyke appeared in the movie, “A Night at the Museum.”
- Sir George Martin (along with his son Giles) co-produced the Beatles’ album “Love,” the soundtrack to a Cirque du Soleil play.
At the age of ninety years:-
- Chagall became the first living artist to be exhibited at the Louvre museum.
- Pablo Picasso was still producing drawings and engravings.
- Chemist Paul Walden was still giving chemistry lectures.
At the age of ninety five:-
- Choreographer Martha Graham helped her dance troupe rehearse for their latest performance.
- Nola Ochs became the oldest person to receive a college diploma, a degree in general studies with an emphasis on history.
At the age of more than one hundred years:-
- Alice Porlock of Great Britain published her first book, Portrait of My Victorian Youth, when she was 102 years old.