The following are the Rules of Online Cancellation of Train Tickets Booked at Passenger Reservation System /PRS Counters:
The Rules for Online Cancellation of Passenger Reservation System/PRS Train Tickets will be applicable only in case of a Valid Mobile Number has been given at the time of booking of the ticket/s.
Online Cancellation of tickets and refund of fare may be permitted for PRS counter tickets in normal circumstances only and not in case of late running of trains/cancellation of train etc.
Online cancellation of PRS Tickets are permitted:
- For Fully Confirmed PRS Tickets only upto 4 Hours Before the Scheduled Departure of the train and
- For RAC/Wait Listed PRS Tickets only upto 30 Minutes Before the Scheduled Departure of the train
- All the privilege/duty pass/PTOs/complimentary pass tickets may be allowed to be cancelled through website. In the case of pass zero refund is permissible however, for validity of the pass for fresh booking the passenger shall approach the counter to get the pass re-validated by marking the same cancelled against the earlier booked tickets as per prescribed rule.
- PTO’s tickets are issued on 1/3rd of the total basic fares and normal cancellation charge is applicable in these tickets also. Therefore in many cases ticket value on PTOs is less than the cancellation charges therefore passengers may or may not cancel the tickets therefore cancellation across IRCTC website may be allowed in the case of PTOs also.
Procedure of Online Cancellation of PRS Counter Tickets:
Visti the irctc website: irctc.co.in
Click ‘Counter Ticket Cancellation’ just below the Top Right Corner of the window.
In the Cancel the Counter Ticket Page:
- Enter PNR Number, Train number along with Captcha.
- Select check box to confirm that rules and procedure are read.
- After click on submit an OTP will be sent to the Mobile Number given at the time of booking,-Enter the OTP received and Click Submit.
After the OTP is validated PNR details will be displayed on the screen.
Passenger details (Viz.name, age, gender, booking status, current status) and journey details will be displayed on the website.
After verifying the details Click on ‘Cancel Ticket’ for Full Cancellation.
Once the passenger confirms Full Cancellation of Ticket, the full cancellation of the PNR will be done and the PNR will be marked as Cancelled but not refunded in the system.
Seat/berth will be released.
Refund amount due will also be displayed to the passenger on website
Refund amount due will be displayed on the screen.
An SMS will be sent with PNR and refund details.
Sample format: “Your PNR xxxxxxxxxx has been cancelled. Collect refund amt xxxxx from journey commencing station or nearby satellite PRS locations. Ref. Terms & conditions”
How To Get the Refund on Cancelled PRS Tickets?
For PRS Tickets Cancelled (Including Return Journy Tickets) Before 24 Hours of the Scheduled Departure of the train:
Refund of Fare as permissible can be collected from any PRS Counter of the Indian Railways on submission of the Original PRS Counter Ticket/s upto :
- 4 Hours before the Scheduled Departure Time of the train -For Confirmed Tickets and
- 30 Minutes before the Scheduled Departure of the train- For RAC/Wait Listed Tickets
For PRS Tickets cancelled (Including Return Journey Tickets) between 24 hours and upto 4 hours for the confirmed tickets and upto 30 Minutes for RAC/waitlisted tickets before the scheduled departure time:
Refund of cancelled PRS counter tickets through IRCTC website or 139 at present is permitted only at the journey commencing station or nearby satellite PRS locations by surrendering original journey ticket.
Please check the convenience of collecting refund from journey commencing station before cancelling your ticket
During first two hours of the opening of PRS counters on the next day for the tickets for the trains whose scheduled departure as under time is (i) between 1801 hours and 0600 hours:
Upto 4 hours after the scheduled departure of the train during the working hours of PRS counters/current counters/special counters where cancellation is permitted round the clock on the tickets for the trains whose scheduled departure time is (i) between 0601 hours and 1800 hours.