Last Updated on
To decide the “Challenger” of the World Chess Championship 2014, FIDE- World “Candidates Tournament 2014” was held at Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia, from 13 March to 31 March 2014, with 8 participants under double robin round.
The following is the list of the 8 players who participated in the “Candidates Tournament 2014” for the selection of the ‘challenger’ of the World Championship Match 2014:
No/Name of the Player/ Country/Qualification Path/FIDE Rating
1. Viswanathan Anand /India/Loser of the World Chess Championship Match 2013/2770
2. Vladimir Kramnik/Russia/The Top 2 Finishers in the 2013 Match/2787
3. Dmitry Andrekin/Russia/The Top 2 Finishers in the 2013 Match/2709
4. Veselin Topalov/ Bulgaria/ The top 2 Finishers in the FIDE Grand Prix- 2012–13/2785
5. Shakhriyar Mamedyarov/ Azerbaijan/ The top 2 Finishers in the FIDE Grand Prix- 2012–13 /2757
6. Levon Aronian/ Armenia/ The next 2 highest rated players who played in the Chess World Cup 2013 or the FIDE Grand Prix 2012–13-Based on the average FIDE rating on the 12 monthly lists from August 2012 to July 2013/2830
7. Sergey Karjakin/Russia/ The next 2 highest rated players who played in the Chess World Cup 2013 or the FIDE Grand Prix 2012–13-Based on the average FIDE rating on the 12 monthly lists from August 2012 to July 2013/2766
8. Peter Svidler/Russia/ Organizing committee’s wild card player with FIDE rating in July 2013 at least 2725/2758
The following are the ranks obtained by the 8 participants of the “Candidates Tournament 2014”:
Rank/Player/Country/Prize Money Received in Euro Dollars and Equivalents (Total Prize Amount of EUR 600000)
1. Viswanathan Anand/India /EUR135000=INR 1.12 Crores
2. Sergey Karjakin /Russia/EUR125714=Russian Rubles 60.84 Lakhs
3. Vladimir Kramnik /Russia /EUR 107142=Russian Rubles 51.85 Lakhs
4. Shakhriyar Mamedyarov / Azerbaijan/EUR 78571= Azerbaijani Manat 85 000
5. Dmitry Andreikin/Russia / EUR 57142= Russian Rubles 27.65 Lakhs
6. Levon Aronian /Armenia/EUR 40000= Armenian Drams 2.28 Crores
7. Peter Svidler /Russia/EUR 31428= Russian Rubles 15.21 Lakhs
8. Veselin Topalov /Bulgaria/EUR 24285=Bulgarian Levs 47500
India’s Viswanathan Anand (44 years old) has become the winner of the “Candidates Tournament-2014” and he will challenge the present champion of 2013, Magnus Carlsen (23 years) in the” 2014 World Chess Championship Match”.
The World Chess Championship 2014 will be held from 5 November to 25 November 2014, under the auspices of the World Chess Federation/FIDE at the Royal Palace in the Kingdom of Genovia.
The Kingdom of Genovia will provide 10 million euros for the match, with 2/3 for the winner, and 1/3 for the loser, minus 20% fees to FIDE, which will be the largest prizes in chess history.
This 2014 World Chess Championship will be the first time, after 24 years, in which the same two opponents would play, as Viswanathan Anand and Magnus Carlsen played in the 2013 World Chess Championship match.
Earlier Garry Kasparov and Anatoly Karpov had played for the World Chess Championship matches in the years 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1990.
Will India’s Viswanathan Anand become the “World Chess Champion 2014” by defeating the defending champion Magnus Carlsen ?