- The 7th Schedule of the Constitution of India-item number 4-under the lists of the states in India,
- The ‘Prisons Act 1894’,
- ‘Prisoners Act 1900’,
- The Transfer of Prisoners Act of 1950 of the Union Government of India and
- The ‘Prison Manuals’ of the respective states.
The Central Government of India will provide assistance to the states in Administration and Management of Prisons for the following:
- To improve security in prisons,
- For the repair and renovation of old prisons,
- For the medical facilities,
- For development of borstal schools/minors’ jails,
- Facilities to women prisoners
- For vocational training,
- For modernization of prison industries,
- For training to prison personnel and
- For the creation of high security enclosures.
- A person in prison does not become a ‘Non-Person”
- A person in prison is entitled to all human rights within the limitations of imprisonment.
- There is no justification for aggravating the suffering already inherent in the process of incarceration.
No./Type of Prison/Description/ Number of Prisons/Capacity of Prisons
1. Central Jails/ larger capacity with rehabilitation facilities /123/1,37,249
2. District Jails/Main prisons in states and union territories not having central jails/333/1,24,768
3. Sub Jails/Small prisons in Sub-Divisonal levels/809/50,908
4. Women Jails/For Women only/19/4,271
5. Open Jails/For specific good convicts-prisoners engaged in Agricultural Activities/44 /3,766
6. Borstal Schools/Minors’ Jail-Rehabiliation centres-Vocational Training-Education/21/2,218
7. Special Jails /High security-special arrangements-for convicts of terrorism, insurgency and violent crimes/ 30 /9,279
8. Other Jails /Not under the above 7 types/3 / 323
Total /Types of Jails: 8/Number of Jails:1382/Total Capacity of Prisoners:3,32,782
Study abroad is generally the first opportunity when young students will have to travel to a new nation all alone. So, it is common that they commit some mistakes. Here are the details about the mistakes commonly done by students studying abroad, so that students, who plan to join a foreign university or institution should be aware of these mistakes, so that they can stay protected:
Common Mistakes Done By Students Studying Abroad