A World Tamil Conference is to be held at Coimbatore from 23rd June 2010 to 27th June 2010. The Conference will be called the “First World Classical Tamil Conference”/”Ulaga Tamil Semmozhi Maanadu”. The Tamil Meet is convened and conducted by the present Chief Minister of Tamilnadu Mr.M.Karunanidhi, who is a talented Tamil Poet of the century.The following are the previoue 8 World Tamil Conferences held with the approval of IATR so far:-
- First World Tamil Conference was held at Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia in 1966 from 16th April to 23rd April 1966
- Second World Tamil Confernce was held at Chennai, Tamilnadu, India in 1968 from 3rd January to 10th January 1968, when Mr.C.N.Annadaduari was the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
- Third World Tamil Conference was held at Paris, France in 1970, from 15th July to 18th July 1970.
- Fourth World Tamil Conference was held at Jaffna, Srilanka in 1974, from 03rd January 1974 to 9th January 1974
- Fifth World Tamil Conference was held at Madurai, Tamilnadu, India, in 1981,from 4th January 1981 to 10th January 1981 when Mr.M.G.Ramachandran was the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
- Sixth World Tamil Conferecne was held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in 1987,from 15th November to 19th November 1987.
- Seventh World Tamil Conference was held at Mauritius in 1989, from 1st December to 8th December 1989.
- Eighth World Tamil Conference was held at Thanjavur, Tamilnadu, India in 1995,from 1st January to 5th January 1995, when Ms.J.Jayalalitha was the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
All the above 8 World Tamil Conferences were held with the approval of the “International Association of Tamil Research”/ IATR while the 9th World Tamil Conference to be held from 23rd June 2010 to 27th June 2010, has not been approved by IATR.However, the present Chief Minister and the convenor of the Conference prefers to call the same as “First World Semmozhi Conference Semmozhi means Classical Language. ”
Tamil was approved as a classical language/ “Semmozhi” by the Government of India June 2004.
As promised by and as instructed by the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, Mr.M.Karunanidhi, let us hope that the Conference will not be a political conference of the ruling party of Tamilnadu, the DMK. The success of the conference as a true Tamil Classical Conference must be judged by the participation, interraction and publishing of new works on the classical language-Tamil, of Tamil scholars from all over the world.
We need not judge by the opposition parties who are not in favour of the proposed conference, right from the day of the proposal by the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
Long Live the Classical Language Tamil!
The Conference was a grand success…