As and when we book our Train Tickets Online, we have to take the print out of the e-ticket which is called “Electronic Reservation Slip”- (ERS) – in standard specified Proforma containing reservation particulars, and instructions for use which can be used by the passenger along with the relevant authorized Identification, as travel authority for performing the journey. According to the Indian Railways, everyday about 3 Lakhs of A-4 Size paper is being used for taking print outs of such ERS’s.
Now, the Indian Railways advises and requests the passengers “Not to take the paper print outs” of the e-tickets to save paper, trees and environment.
Instead of Paper print outs of ERS’s the passenger may use the following:
- “Virtual Reservation Message”- (VRM) , which is a screen-shot of the e-ticket displayed through laptops,Mobile phones andIPads and
- SMS Sent by IRCTC to Mobile Phones with the details of the e-ticket/s booked.- (The SMS will be received only at the registered Mobile Number of the ‘irctc user’ booking the e tickets. The passenger may be different from the person/s booking the e ticket. However, the Forwarded SMS received in the Mobile Phone of the Passenger may be used as the VRM. )
ERS/VRM/SMS sent by IRCTC along with any one of the prescribed ID proofs in original and the indication of the passenger(s)’ name(s) in the Reservation Chart will authorize the passenger to travel.
VRM/ SMS sent by IRCTC combined with valid photo-id in original will be treated as an instrument on par with the ERS.
ERS/VRM/SMS sent by IRCTC along with one of the prescribed proofs of identity in original will also authorize the passenger to enter the platform on the day of journey and he/she will not be required to purchase platform ticket.
ERS/VRM/SMS sent by IRCTC along with the Original Photo Id. Proof will be required to be produced on demand of Ticket Checking Staff on the platform/s.
The following are the authorized Photo Identity Proofs to be carried in ORIGINAL while traveling with an e- ticket:
- Original Driving License, (It is notable that for RTO purposes we can use the photocopy the Driving License, and for Id Proof for e ticket only the ORIGINAL Driving License will be accepted),
- IT-PAN Card,
- Ration Card with Photograph, (Only the Head Of the Family whose photo will be embossed in the Ration card can use this- The family members whose names will be in the Ration Card cannot use Ration card as Photo Id.),
- Voter’s Identity Card, Issued by the Election Commission of India,
- Pension Pay Order (PPO) with Photograph,
- Senior Citizen card with Photograph,
- Below Poverty (BPL) Card with Photograph,
- ESI cards- with Photograph (issued for taking treatment in ESI Dispensaries),
- CGHS Cards with Photograph issued to individual family members of Central Government Employees,
- Pass-Books of Banks with Issued with Photos. (Photos affixed the Bank Pass- Books must be with the Bank’s Seal.)
For -E-Ticket/s of Non-AC Classes, it is sufficient if any one of the passengers of one e- ticket carries the Photo Identity Card.
However, for all AC Classes ( First Class AC, 2 Tier AC, 3 Tier AC and AC Chair Cars) – E- Ticket/s each one of the passengers of one e-ticket should carry the Photo Id Proof.