Use of Tobacco in any form, especially Smoking is injurious to health. Tobacco is an indirect slow poison. You might have read the following joke:-
- “There was a board kept in a public place where a number of people gather. In the board it was painted/written, “Smoking Kills you slowly”. Below the lines there was a remark scribbled, “We are not in a hurry.”
The above may be a joke or humour. But smoking is only a slow-killer. Smoking directly affects the Lungs. But there are many harmful side effects of smoking.
Smoking is known to have no good effect, unlike some other bad habits of man. The smokers will not realize this. Tobacco is so addictive, that the users cannot come out of the habit easily, unless they realize the direct effects and side effects of smoking and use of tobacco in any other form.
Effects and Side effects of Smoking:-
- Teeth will be yellow and stained/Bleeding Gums / Teeth plaque/ Loss of teeth
- Reduced sense of taste
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
- Nose will lose its sense of smelling/ Either Good fragrance or Bad odour will not be known
- Peptic ulcers
- Wrinkles, capillaries and premature ageing and scarring
- Beurger’s disease, leg pain and gangrene
- Slow hair growth/Thinning and graying of hair/Hair will look and feel lifeless and dull/Hair will become smelly and stained
- Blockage of carotid artery will cut off the blood supply to the brain cells, which results in stroke/cerebral thrombosis
- Blood thickening and clotting
- Common eye diseases such as Graves’ ophthalmopathy, age- related macular degeneration, glaucoma and cataract. The worst smoking effect on eyes is permanent blindness.
- Poor blood circulation because of smoking will lead to cold fingers, tar stained fingers, peripheral vascular disease and amputation due to gangrene
- The Nicotine and Carbon Monoxide in smoking will increase Blood Pressure and blood vessels will be strained. This will lead to Heart Attack and Brain Stroke.
- Because of smoking blood flow is slowed down and oxygen to the feet and hands are reduced and they may get paralyzed.
- Feeling out of breath/Colds and flu/ pneumonia/ asthma/ cough/ sputum/ tuberculosis/chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
- Stomach cancer
- Cancers associated with the larynx, oral cavity and esophagus
- The most dreaded lung cancer: Because of Smoking Tar will be deposited on the walls of the Lungs and Smoking is a major cause of Lung Cancer: Carbon monoxide will slowly reduce the muscles and body tissues and the heart will have to work harder. The airways will be swollen and less air will reach the lungs. The disease is called Emphysema, which is a slow killer. People with “Emphysema” often get bronchitis again and again, and suffer lung and heart failure. That is why it is said “Smoking kills you slowly”.
Related Reading: “Ban on Smoking in Public Places in India Implemented”