Last Updated on
In India the general elections for the 15th Lokh Sabha has ended successfully and the Indian National Congress party-led Alliance has won in 260 seats out of the 543. The 14th Lokh Sabha is being dissolved and the 15th Lokh Sabha is going to take over from 20th May 2009.
The following are the probable persons who will retain or take over the Ministerial Portfolios:-
Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh took over the finance portfolio last December after moving Mr.P.Chidambaram to head the Home Ministry following the Mumbai attacks.
With India facing its slowest growth in six years and a yawning fiscal deficit, it is expected Dr ManmohanSingh, a former Finance Minister and former Governor of Reserve Bank of India will bring in a specialist to head the Finance Ministry.
The following persons are in the list of probable Finanace Mininster in the new Cabinet of Ministers:-
- Mr. C.Rangarajan-Former Governor of Reserve Bank of India and an Economic Adviser to the Prime Minister of India
- Mr.Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy chairman of the Planning Commission
- Mr. Kamalnath, Trade Minister
- Mr. Pranab Mukherjee,Foreign Affairs Minister
- Mr. Kamal Nath is seen as key to India’s role as a leading negotiator for emerging nations in the struggling Doha round of talks and may retain his post. His name is in the list of probable Finance Minister also.
- Mr.Kapil Sibal, Science and Technology Minister
Mr. Pranab Mukherjee may retain the post in view of the following:-
- The growing instability in Indo-Pak relations
- The unstable Nepal
- The winding down of a 25-year-old war in Sri Lanka
- Afghanistan-Pakistan strategy of USA
Mr.P.Chidambaram may retain his post.
Mr. A.K. Anthony may continue in the post. However, there are guesses that the Farm Minister Mr. Sharad Pawar may take over the position.
Information and Broadcasting Ministry:-
Mr.Priyaranjan Das Munsi is not well. Mr.Rahul Gandhi may be asked to take over the post. Mr. Rahul Gandhi had already told he will not become the Prime Minister of India at this stage as he is not experienced.
Some other persons who may become minister in some ministry are:-
- Mr.Farooq Abdullah
- Mr.Jairam Ramesh
- Mr.Jyotiraditya Scindia
- Mr.Sachin Pilot
There will be some ministers from DMK, the Leader of the winning alliance in Tamilnadu and from some more parties of the alliance in various states.