Last Updated on
Malaria is an Infectious Disease caused by a Parasite called Plasmodium, which infects Red Blood Cells. Malaria is a fever with shivering, chillness and body pain. The Plasmodium Parasites are transmitted by mosquitoes. There are four types of Malaria:-
- Plasmodium Vivax
- Plasmodium Malariae
- Plasmodium Ovale and
- Plasmodium Falciparum/ This is the most dreadful type of Malaria
The following are the Symptoms of Malaria:-
- Muscle pains
People having severe Malaria can also have:-
- Kidney Failure
- Central Nervous System Problems
Malaria parasite will remain inside and grow in mosquitoes and the blood stream of persons bitten by such malaria infected mosquitoes. Normally, the period of Incubation of Malaria will range from 7 days to 21 days, from the day of Mosquito- bite by moquitoes with the Malaria Parasite.
Diagnosis of Malaria:-
Normally, Malaria is diagnosed by a simple Blood Test, called, Giemsa Stain test, done with blood drop, to find the presence of the Malarial parasites in the Blood Red Cells, seen through a Microscope. Other tests based on Immunolgic principles and Rapid Diagnostic Tests are also available to diagnose Malaria.
Treatment for Malaria:-
Mild malaria can be treated with oral medication while severe malaria, requires intravenous (IV) drug treatment and fluids.
To Prevent Malaria you must:-
- avoid exposure to mosquitoes during the early morning and early evening hours between the hours of dusk and dawn, when mosquitoes will be busy in biting human beings.
- wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants especially when you are outdoors
- apply insect repellent to the exposed skin.
- spray mosquito repellents on clothing to prevent mosquitoes from biting through thin clothing.
- use a permethrin-coated mosquito net over your beds.
- have nettedscreens over cover windows and doors.
- spray permethrin or a similar insecticide in the bedroom before going to bed.
- keep water storages closed to reduce mosquitoes
- spray insecticides/mosquito-killers on stagnant waters and drainages near your house