Last Updated on
Ms.Tarjani Vakil (In Banking and Finance From 1956 To 1996):
Banking Career of Ms.Tarjani Vakil:
Ms. Tarjani Vakil is the first woman to head a financial institution in India, working in the “Maharashtra State Finance Corporation”, from the year 1956.
She had worked in various capacities in the “Industrial Development Bank of India”/IDBI from the 1965 to 1982, for 17 years.
Qualifications of Ms.Tarjani Vakil:
Ms. Tarjani Vakil is a Post Graduate/ M.A. from University of Bombay. She joined the ”Export Import Bank of India/ “Exim Bank” the year 1982, from the day of inception of the bank.
Retirement of Ms.Tarjani Vakil:
Ms.Tarjani Vakil Retired as the Chairman and Managing Director of “Exim Bank” in October 1996.
Ms. Tarjani Vakil is the Member of the Boards / Trustee of the following Companies:
- IDEA Cellular- a Non-Executive Independent Director from September 2006,
- Indian Merchant Chambaer’s Committee Member,
- Trustee of the General Electoral Trust and Qimpro Foundation,
- Aditya Birla Nuvo Limited,
- Asian Paints Limited,
- Iflex Solutions Limited,
- Alkyl Amines Chemicals Limited and
- DSP Merill Lynch Trustee Co. Pvt. Ltd.
Recognitions Received by Ms.Tarjani Vakil:
Ms. Tarjani Vakil was recognized by KPMG Worldwide Business as one of the top 50 women “to prove her valor” in the business in the year 1997.
Auto-Biography of Ms.Tarjani Vakil:
Ms.Tarjani Vakil had published in the year 2011, an autobiographical sketch, for private circulation, titled, “A Mosaic of Memories”.
Ms.Ranjana Kumar: (In Banking From 1966 To 2005):
Banking Career of Ms.Ranjana Kumar:
Ms.Ranjan Kumar In Bank of India
Ms.Ranjana Kumar started her banking career as a “Direct Recruit-Probationary Officer” in Bank of India in the year 1966, and she had worked in various capacities in Bank of India, as:
- Chief Instructor of various Training Centres, in different States including Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Mumbai,
- Chief Manager of various Branches of the bank and
- Regional Manager and
- Zonal Manger.
In the year 1995, she was promoted a General Manager in Bank of India. Then, she took over as Senior Vice-President and Chief Executive of Bank of India, overseeing the US operations, based in New York She had been instrumental in procuring for the bank ‘strong’ rating from the “Federal Reserve” in the year 1998 for the first time in 20 years,history of the bank.
Ms.Ranjan Kumar in Canara Bank:
In April 1999, Ranjana Kumar became the Executive Director /ED of Canara Bank and between June 1999 and May 2000, she had been holding the concurrent charges as the Chairman and the Managing Director/ CMD of Canara Bank.
Ms.Ranjana Kumar in Indian Bank:
In May 2000 she took over as the Chairman and the Managing Director of Indian Bank, at a time the Bank had been in a very bad shape with heavy losses. During her tenure in Indian Bank, till 21st November 2003in Indian Bank as its CMD, she recovered the Bank from the losses and lifted up Indian Bank and made a ‘turn-around’ of the loss making Indian Bank to become a viable Bank again.-
Ms.Ranjana Kumar in “NABARD”:
From 21st November 2003, Ranjana Kumar had been the Chairman of National Bank of Agriculture and Rural Development /NABARD.
In the year 2003, Ms.Ranjana Kumar held the following various Posts:
- The Director, National Commodity & Derivatives Exchange (NCDEX) Ltd.,
- Chairperson, Governing Council, Bankers’ Institute of Rural Development (BIRD), Lucknow,
- Member, Governing Council, Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Development Banking, IDBI, Hyderabad,
- Honorary Visiting Professor of AdministrativeStaff College of India, Hyderabad,
- Member, Board of Trustees, Indian School of Microfinance for women, Ahmedabad.and
- Member, Governing Council, National Innovation Foundation, Ahmedabad.
After retiring from NABARD on 31st December 2005, Ranjana Kumar was appointed as a Vigilance Commissioner in the Central Vigilance Commission/CVC.
Post Retirement Posts Held by Ms.Ranjana Kumar:
After retirement from the Central Vigilance Commission, Ranjana Kumar has been appointed, from 06th December 2011, as an Independent Director of the “ Andhra Pradesh Paper Mills Ltd”.
Ranjana Kumar is presently a Member of the Boards of Directors of Various Companies, including the following:
- The “Tata Global Beverages Ltd.”,
- The “Coromandel International Ltd.”,
- The “National Stock Exchange of India Ltd.”,
- The of the “GVK Power & Infrastructure Limited” -Non-Executive Independent Director from November 2011,
- The “ International Asset Reconstruction Company Pvt. Ltd”,
- The “Vyome Biosciences Pvt. Ltd.” and
- The “SKS Microfinance Limited” an Independent Director from 8th March 2013.
Date of Birth and the Qualifications of Ms.Ranjana Kumar:
Ms.Ranjana Kumar was born on 10th December 1945.
Ms.Ranjana Kumar is a Graduate B.A./Gold Medalist, Graduate in “Dance”, “Sangeet Bhushan”- in Musicand a “Virasha” in Hindi Language and she has learnt “Bharat Natyam” and “Kathak”dances.
- Wharton School,
- Stanford University,
- World Bank,
- Asia Society New York,
- University of Washington, Seattle addressed International Program for Senior Bankers – PACIFIC RIM Bankers Association,
- Wharton School, Philadelphia,
- Stanford University, California,
- Asia Society, New York and
- World Bank, Washington.
- Administrative Staff College, Hyderabad
- IIT, Chennai
- IIT, Mumbai
- IIM, Ahmedabad
- MDI, Gurgaon
- ISB, Hyderabad
- Madras Management Association, Madras
- Ahmedabad Management Association, Ahmedabad.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, Chennai.
- Hindustan Chamber of Commerce, Chennai.
- Bank Economists’ Conference – BECON, Bangalore.
Awards and Recognitions Received by Ms.Ranjana Kumar:
- The “BMA Management Woman Achiever of the Year 2008-09” – Award,
- The “Banker of the Year- 2002”- by “Business Standard” – in the year 2003,
- The “Best Professional Manager” Award for the year 2003 from the “Financial Express”,conferred by Shri Jaswant Singh, Union Finance Minister,
- The “Finance & Banking Award- 2003 was conferred by the Ladies Wing of the “Indian Merchants’ Chamber”, Mumbai
- She was an acclaimed “India’s Turn Around Queen” by “The Economist, UK” in its November 2003 Issue.
- “Women play many roles in our society. A clear understanding of the demands of these roles coupled with a well-balanced approach in life can go a long way in enabling a woman to do justice to her balancing act.”
- “Happiness at home is extremely essential for mental and physical well-being.”
Ms.Arundhati Bhattacharya (In Banking From 1977-):
Present Position in Banking of Ms.Arundhati Bhattacharya:
Ms.Arundhati Bhattacharya has been appointed as a Managing Director/MD of State Bank of India/SBI from 10th July 2013.
She is the first woman MD of SBI, succeeding Mr. Diwkar Gupta, retiring on 31st July 2013.
SBI has 4 Managing Directors and the other 3 MDs are Mr.Hemant Contractor, Mr.S Visvanathan and Mr.A Krishna Kumar.
Career in SBI of Ms.Arundhati Bhattacharya:
Arundhathi Bhattacharya Joined SBI in the year 1977, as a Direct Recruit Officer.
Ms.Arundhati Bhattacharya had held various key positions in Credit, Forex, Treasury and Retail in SBI in various capacities as:
- The Chief General Manager of Bangalore Circle,
- The Chief General Manager of New Businesses for Corporate Centre,
- The General Manager of Network – II, Lucknow,
- The Chief Development Officer, Corporate Development Officer and Deputy Managing Director and the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer/MD&CEO- of SBI Capital Markets, the Merchant Banking arm SBI.
- In charge of monitoring the branch performance, overseeing External Audit and Correspondent Relations of the Bank’s New York office.
Ms.Shikha Sharma (In Banking From 1980-):
Present Position in Banking of Ms.Shikha Sharma:
Ms.Shikha Sharma is presently, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer/MD&CEO of the Axis Bank Ltd, the third largest Private Bank in India, from the year 2009.
She has more than doubled the Axis Bank’s network to 1500 branches and 8300 ATMs.
Qualifications of Ms.Shika Sharma:
Ms Shika Sharma, is a B.A. (Hons.) graduate, has a Post Graduate Diploma in Software Technology, from the National Centre for Software Technology, Mumbai and completed her Masters of Business Administration from the Indian Institute of Management – Ahmedabad.
The First Job of Ms.Shika Sharma:
She Joined “Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India “/ “ICICI Ltd” in the year 1980.
Awards and Recognitions Received by Ms.Shika Sharma:
Shika Sharma has received the following Awards and Recognitions:
- “Transformational Business Leader of the Year”- 2012 at AIMA’s Managing India Awards,
- “Woman Leader of the year- 2012” at Blooomberg – UTV Financial Leadership Awards,
- “Business World’s Banker of the Year-2012”- Award,
- Featured in the “Forbes List of Asia’s 50 Power Business Women” – 2012
- Featured in the “Indian Express Most Powerful Indians:- List- 2012 and
- “India Today Power List of 25 Most Influential Women” – 2012.
Ms.Naina Lal Kidwai (In Banking From 1982-):
Present Position in Banking of Ms.Naina Lal Kidwai:
Ms.Naina Lal Kidwai is presently, the Country Head of “HSBC India”.
The other positions held by Naina Lal Kidwai include the following:
- Non-Executive Director in the board of “Nestle SA”,
- Chairwoman of the “City of London’s Advisory Council for India”,
- The Global Advisor of the “Harvard Business School”,
- The Board Member of NCAER,
- The Member of the “Audit Advisory Board of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India” and
- The Member of the National Executive Committee of CII and FICCI.
Qualifications of Ms.Naina Lal Kidwai:
She is the first woman to graduate from Harvard Business School.
And she had worked in “Price Water House & Co”, from 1977 to 1980.
The First Job of Ms.Naina Lal Gidwai :
From 1982-1994, Ms. Naina had worked in ANZ Grindlays/The Investment Bank of India/The Standard Chartered Bank.
From 1994 to 2002, she had served as the Head of the Investment Banking in the “Morgan Staley India” and the “JM Morgan Stanley”.
From November 2002 to 5th May 2006, she had been a Deputy Chief Executive Officer of HSBC.
From 5th May 2006 she has been the Chief Executive Officer of HSBC India of HSBC Holdings and
From 15th April 2009, she has been the Country Head of HSBC India.
Awards&Recognitions Received by Ms.Naina Lal Kidwai:
Ms. Naina Lal Kidwai has received various awards and recognitions including the following:
- “Padmashri” Award of the Government of India for her contributions to Trade and Industry in India and
- “Women of the Decade Achiever Award”-2013 from the ASSOCHAM Ladies League’s Delhi
- Repeated Ranking in the “Fortune Global List of Top Women in Business”
- Ranked the 12th in the “Wall Street Journal” 2006’s “Global Listing of Women to Watch” and
- A place in the “Time Magazine” as one of their “15 Global Influentials” -2002.
Present Position in Finance of Ms.Kalpan Morparia:
Ms.Kalpana Morpanria is a Board Member of the following Companies:
- Dr.Reddy’s Laboratories Limited – a non-executive board member-from the year 2007,
- Bennett, Coleman & Co. Limited,
- CMC Limited,
- J.P. Morgan Services India Private Limited,
- J.P. Morgan Asset Management India Private Limited,
- Philip Morris International Inc., USA and
- Bharti Foundation- Member of the Governing Board.
Qualifications of Ms.Kalpana Morparia:
First Job of Ms.Kalpana Morparia:
Recognitions Received by Ms.Kalpana Morparia:
- Ms.Kalpan Morparia had been in several committees constituted by the Government of India.
- She was named as one of ‘The 50 Most Powerful Women’ in ‘International Business’ by Fortune magazine in the year-2008,
- Named as one of “The 25 most powerful women in Indian business” by ‘Business Today’, an Indian Business Magazine in 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2008 and
- Named as one of “The 100 most Powerful Women” by Forbes magazine in the year 2006.
Chanda Kochhar is presently, the Managing Director and the Chief Executive Officer/MD &CEO of the “ICICI Bank”, the largest Private Bank and the Second Major Bank in India, from May 2009.
Date of Birth and the Qualifications of Chanda Kochhar:
Chanda Kochhar was born on 17th November 1961 in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. She is a Graduate / B.A. from Jai Hind College, Mumbai. She has obtained a Master’s Degreee in Management from the “Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies”, Mumbai.
The First Job of Ms.Chanda Kochhar:
After her Post-Graduation, she joined the “Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India”/ “ICICI Ltd”, as a “Management Trainee” in the year 1984.
Promotions of Ms.Chanda Kochhar in ICICI Bank:
After 9 years of her efficient and hard work she became a part of the core team formed to set up the ‘ICICI Bank.
In the year 1994, in the ICICI Bank, she was promoted as the “Assistant General Manager”/ AGM and in the year 1996, she was promoted as the “Deputy General Manager” / DGM and in the year 1998, she was promoted as the “General Mananger” /GM with a role of handling relationships with the bank’s top 200 customers.
In April 2006,she was appointed as the “Joint Managing Director”/JMD and the “Chief Financial Officer” / CFO of the “ICICI Bank”.
From May 2009, Chanda Kochhar is the MD&CEO of the “ICICI Bank”.
The Achievements of the ICICI Bank under the Leadership of Chanda Kochhar:
Under Chanda Kochhar’s leadership the ICICI Bank had won the award of “Best Retail Bank in India” in the year 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005 consecutively.
In the year 2002, the ICICI Bank bagged the “Excellent in Retail Banking” Award by the ‘Asian Banker’.
Awards&Recognitions Received By Chanda Kochhar:
Chanda Kocchar has been honored with prestigious awards including the following:
- “Retail Banker of the Year” -by Asian Banker in the year 2004,
- “Business Women of the year 2005”- by the “Economic Times” and
- “Rising Star” Award for Global Awards – 2006 by ‘Retail Banker International”
- The “Fortune” Magazine has listed her in the “Most Powerful Women in Business” regularly. In the year 2005, she was ranked 47th position, later 37th in the year 2006 and then 33rd in the year 2007.
- In the year 2009, “Forbes” ranked her 20, in “The world’s 100 most powerful women” list. This year Forbes ranked her 2011,
- In the year 2010, she was honored with “Padma Bhushan” Award, the 3rd highest Civilian Award by the Government of India, for her efforts made to improve the Trade and Industry in India.
The Present Position of Ms.Vishaka Mulye:
Qualifications of Ms.Vishaka Mulye:
- Ms.Vishaka joined the “Industrial Credit and Investments Corporation of India” / ICICI in 1993 in the “Project Finance Department”,
- She was designated as “Senior General Manager” in the “ICICI Bank” in the year 2004,
- She had been “ICICI Bank”’s Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer from 2005 to 2007. She was designated as the group’s “Chief Financial Officer” in the year 2006,
- Shehas been a key driver and enabler of the “Debt Securitization” and she spearheaded landmark fundraising deals like ICICI Bank’s US$ 5 billion equity offering in 2007,
- Was an Executive Director at “ICICI Lombard General Insurance”, from October 2007 to April 2009,
- Was appointed as the MD&CEO of “ICICI Ventures” from 20th April 2009.
Recognitions Received by Ms.Vishaka Mulye:
“A List of Top Indian Women Executives in Various Fields”